Friday, June 5, 2009


My sweet sister and brother in law lost their baby boy at 23 weeks gestation. With a baby being that far along, Brittany had to go through the whole labor and delivery process. Let me just tell you, she is such a trooper. I have spent the last two days at the hospital with them and am completely blown away by both of their strength. They named the baby Aiden Davies Tak and he weighed in at 1 pound 12 oz and 12 inches long. Many of you reading this may already know what happened but for those of you who don't know, my sister is better at explaining these type of things. Here is an entry from her blog:



Our sad journey started about halfway through our Washington trip... we got the voicemail from my OB/GYN no expecting family wants to hear "Brittany, it's Dr Stowers, call me when you get this; I want to discuss your ultrasound." You know what they say, no news is good news, so we spent the night worrying. I got a hold of him the next morning and he told us our ultrasound showed some alarming changes in the baby's heart and it was enlarged enough that he was sending me to a maternal fetal medicine doctor at LDS Hospital for another ultrasound. There, a week later, it was confirmed our baby had some serious and complicated heart problems, and my pregnancy was moved to the status of high risk. They couldn't give us a diagnosis or even a prognosis- that would come two weeks later after a fetal echo cardiogram at Primary Children's hospital.
The last two weeks have been an especially hard and trying time for Cody and I and our families. Thoughts of open heart surgeries, heart transplants, and our baby spending his life in and out of hospitals filled our thoughts. But we had faith everything would be OK- whatever that meant. Our future was in the Lord's hands and we just had to keep living and trying to be positive.
We went in for our echo cardiogram yesterday, and the got the news we didn't want but kind of expected, they couldn't find a heartbeat... The more devastating news, I'm far enough along that I would have to go through labor and delivery.
I was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday at around 2:30 and they started inducing labor. Since it is my first baby and I'm not very far along they said the labor would take upwards of 24 hours. I chose to have an epidural, and it has been wonderful!! I was so scared about it, but it really wasn't bad at all.
We are just waiting now... I know the next hours and days will be the hardest of my life, but I know Cody and I will survive. We have each other, we have the Gospel, and we have amazing families and friends who have already offered a lot of support.
Keep us in your thoughts and prayers, but please don't feel sorry for us. We know Aiden Davies Tak is in a better place. Maybe all he needed was to come to earth for a body- he didn't need to have the trials and tests the rest of us do. We know families are eternal, and we'll see our baby boy again someday.


Brittany and Cody are doing well but please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. I'm sure they would grately appreciate it. I thought the "Remember" stone that was in a small a garden at the hospital where Brit delivered was appropriate for this time. We will always remember baby Aiden.

1 comment:

{Rollins Family} said...

i've cried so much for them today**
It made me hold colter and hadliegh a little harder and longer today.
you are such a good sister brooke, she is lucky you have to to lean on.

send her my best wihes, she is in our thoughts!