Friday, March 26, 2010

Green Eggs and Ham

We do not like green eggs and ham, we do not like them Sam I am! Well, maybe we just don't like eggs! We found out on Wednesday that Carter may be allergic to them. For breakfast, I let Carter have a few tiny bites of my scrambled eggs and a few hours later, his whole body was bright red. The above photo does not even show how bad it was. When Landon was about the same age, the same thing happened to him when we gave him a peanut butter sandwich. We gave Landon some Benadryl and it went away completely but when we told his doctor about it at his next check up, they were really concerned and told us we should of taken him in. Sometimes with allergic reactions, their throat can start to close up and make it hard to breathe. So right away, I called to see if we could get Carter into the doctors. They told us they had an hour in a half wait so I took him to an Instant Care place and they told us they didn't take our insurance. They told me if he looks like he isn't having a hard time breathing, he should be alright waiting to be seen at our doctors office. I ran out in tears because I just felt so bad for little Carter! He kept scratching his face and I know how bad hives can itch. Anyway, we were able to get him seen right away by a pediatrician and he was hooked up a little machine to get his oxygen levels. They checked his throat and told me that he was breathing just fine. Carter was given a dose of Benadryl and we were on our way. A few hours later, his perfect baby skin was back. Guess we need to be more careful about what we share with him. It's hard because he loves food SO much! Hopefully he will grow out of his allergy by the time he is a toddler. It would not be fun to have two kids allergic to two different foods, that's for sure!