Friday, September 11, 2009

Binky Anyone?

The whole time I was pregnant, people kept warning me that my baby was going to be a holy terror because baby #2 is always that way. I just laughed it off but now I understand what they were talking about! Carter isn't exactly a 'holy terror' but certainly isn't as good of a baby as Landon was. I was SO spoiled with Landon...I thought hey, if this is how it's going to be, I can handle a few more kids! Carter has been having a rough time lately. Don't get me wrong, he has his good moments but has been FUSSY for the last month it seems like. He won't take the binky anymore and it DRIVES ME CRAZY! I cleaned the house the other day and found all of these pacifiers...and he won't take a single one. I've boughten a few different kinds (waste of money) to see if he'd prefer one over the other but all he wants is me. He wants to be nursed ALL day long and I can't handle it sometimes. Mandy left me a jar or formula when she stayed in April with her baby so I have been using that every once in a while just so I can get a break. Thank goodness for that because pumping can be such a hassle. I think part of the problem is that Carter has not been having very much luck with his bowel movements. He hadn't pooped in over a week (about 4 weeks ago, maybe less) and so we gave him a suppository. He was supposed to poop within 15 minutes to 1 hour and it took 5-we were freaking out but he did go. 9 days, he still had not pooped and I tried everything that people suggested. We put a thermometer up his bottom to try to relax the muscles (sick I know but it's what the doctor said we could try) and a few days later, still nothing. This happened while we were in Washington so I ran to the store to get more suppositories and the pharmacist recommended some type of syrup that would be calming to the stomach. Tried that TWICE in 2 days and still no poop. I finally went to the store and bought the suppositories because I felt SO bad for him. He went within minutes but it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. He had been really fussy and had serious gas so I knew he needed something. Well, we got home and it had been about a week and he went on his own and I was so excited. I was at Old Navy with Cody and Brittany and we actually all high fived-haha! Good thing I forgot to pack the wipes and he was so so stinky. Anyway, that was on Monday and it's now Friday. If he doesn't start going regularly, I think I might have to take him to the doctors again. That can't be normal, right? And I just want my baby to be happy. It would make everyone around here a whole lot happier...that is for sure. Through this whole irdeeal, Carter has not been sleeping very good either. He'll fall asleep for a couple of minutes and wake up crying. I don't know if it's because he realizes I put him down or if his stomach hurts. It will be midnight or later by the time he settles down and then he'll wake up late in the afternoon and not take a consistant nap and pretty much be up until bed time. What is going on?! I actually got him to sleep for a while in his crib yesterday. He wasn't happy at first but he DID nap and that's all that matters. I feel like the worst mom for letting him cry but what when I've tried everything else, I don't know what to do! I don't want him getting used to always being nursed to sleep and it seems like that's all that he wants. I know that he is getting enough to eat because just look at him. I know he just wants to eat for commort.Yes Carter is sleeping through the night but I feel exhausted by the end of the day. Hopefully things will look up pretty soon 'cause mommy is TIRED!

1 comment:

The Tanners said...

Brooke, ugh I feel so bad for you. You did get a tough baby. I know that when babies don't poop and sleep regulary they are very fussy babies adn that is probably why is is always crying. Both my girls were and still are very consitpated, Mya would go weeks without pooping. I tried everything from prune juice to Karol Syrup to suspositories, nothing worked. I now give them both Miralax and it is wonderful. They both poop regualary daily! It's so nice. All you do is put 1 tbsp to 2 tbsp depending on each kid once to twice a day. Try it it so works. You can find it just in the pharmacy area, it's a purple and white containner with a purple lid. It's just powder and it has no taste or odor. It's very safe too, it's not something that you can give them too much and ruin their system. You can put them on it and take them off it with no problems, nothing their system can get addicted to. It's great!