Thursday, April 9, 2009

Appointment @ 28 Weeks

I hit the 28Th week mark today and had yet another appointment. I have to say this one was the most eventful by far. I went in thinking we would be there for maybe an hour-boy was I wrong! My blood pressure was pretty high and the babies heart rate was in the 190's for quite some time. My doctor tried using a different machine to see if it was reading wrong but his little heart rate was still not what it's supposed to be. Normal is considered 140's to 170's. My doctor was pretty concerned so she had me check into labour and delivery to have a non stress test done on the baby as well as some blood work. Before I left the office I had the Rhogam shot in my bottom because my blood is Rh negative. We don't know the babies blood type so if it ends up being different, my body could possibly reject other pregnancies if I didn't get the shot. I had to do the same thing when I was pregnant with Landon but ended up not needing the shot after delivery. Anyway, my urine was sent to the lab (there was traces of protein which isn't good)while I was hooked up to a constant fetal monitor and blood pressure machine. The baby was VERY active and kept making it difficult to get his heart rate read consistently. When we did get his heart rate, it was perfectly fine. Whew! As far as my blood pressure, it was still pretty high. I was monitored from about 4pm to 8pm and it didn't settle. My blood work came back normal so that means I'm not preclamtic but was prescribed Labetalol to keep my blood pressure in control. I go back in one week to make sure everything is okay. In the mean time, I need to take 2 pills a day and check and record my blood pressure. The nurse that discharged me was pretty surprised that I wasn't put on bed rest but we will see how things go. Bed rest is sounding pretty good to me right now but I'm sure I would hate it after a week. After I got home and rested for a bit, my mom helped me check my blood pressure with her electronic device and my blood pressure was pretty normal. Must mean the medication they gave me is working. High blood pressure runs in my family so I wasn't really shocked that it was high. I'm just glad my little guy is okay in there. I'm also glad that Mandy and Brady were able to be with me in the office and hospital. They were good sports even though we were there for almost 5 hours. Mandy even went and brought me snacks. Thanks for being such a good friend Mandy!
I forgot how hideous I look in the hospital gowns...sick!
The machines that monitored the me and the baby.

Brady and Mandy stayed with me the whole time.

Oh the joys of pregnancy! I can't wait until this is all over. I am so ready to have my body back. Oh, and to see that little miracle and Chris and I created! ;)

5 comments:

{Rollins Family} said...

no belly pic?!?! RUDE!! ha ha ha.
I am so so sorry to hear all of this, it sounds like my last week of pregnancy with Colter :( my protein was 3xs the high a "high" women, i'm glad you just had a little.
I'm sure your dr told you all kinds of info but feel free to call me, i've been there :( its no fun at all, just make sure you take it easy so he can "cook" all the way...you don't wanta NICU baby like us (its even worse than what your going through now).
seruiously...call me if you need to!!
good luck little mama <3

Alisha and Braeden said...

I am glad everything is okay with you and your babe! I bet that was not fun. But I'm just glad everything is okay. Love you and miss you!

Brooke said...

Thanks Dana and Alisha! Well, Mandy was going to take a belly shot for me after my appointment but after 5 hours, we were both dead and I looked nasty! My doctor didn't really tell me a whole lot about high blood pressure...I like her a lot but it's her first year so it makes me just a little bit nervous. Anyway, Dana, I would love to talk to you about it sometime! I'm sure you know a whole lot more than I do about it since you went through it. When did they actually tell you that you needed to be on bedrest and how high was your blood pressure? I'm just curious!!

{Rollins Family} said...

i went on bedreast the week before he was born so at 34 weeks (thats when everything started for me). I'm not sure what my BP was at, i can't remember. I'll ask him on thur though...

Casey said...

Yikes! Take it easy Brooke. Bed rest or not! :)